Laxmaiah Manchikanti, MD
Laxmaiah Manchikanti, MD, is the Medical Director of the Pain Management Center of Paducah and Ambulatory Surgery Center in Paducah, Kentucky, encompassing a multidisciplinary pain program. He is also Associate Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine of the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky.
He has been in private practice in Paducah, Kentucky, since completion of a fellowship in anesthesiology and critical care medicine in 1980. He graduated from Gandhi Medical College, Osmania University Hyderabad, India. He completed his internship and residency in anesthesiology at Gandhi Hospital, Youngstown Hospital Association, (North Eastern Ohio School of Medicine), Allegheny General Hospital, and his fellowship in anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the University of Pittsburgh.
Dr. Manchikanti is certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology along with subspecialty certification in Pain Medicine, the American Board of Interventional Pain Physicians (ABIPP) and is a Fellow in Interventional Pain Practice (FIPP). Dr. Manchikanti is a member of numerous professional societies and associations. He is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians and Society of Interventional Pain Management Surgery Centers, Pain Physician journal, and many State Societies of Interventional Pain Physicians. He is also the founder of ABIPP and the ASIPP Foundation.
He has served in the past as a member of the Medicare Coverage Advisory Committee (MCAC), Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure (KBML), and Carrier Advisory Committee (CAC). Through his work with various organizations, Manchikanti has been instrumental in the preservation of Interventional Pain Management through specialty designation, mandatory CAC representation, reimbursement, and the passage of NASPER. Manchikanti has testified before Congress on various occasions as an expert witness on controlled substance management and interventional pain management.
Dr. Manchikanti has multiple academic interests; initially in anesthesiology followed by Interventional Pain Management, not only the scientific aspects, but also practice management aspects. He has published over 490 publications. He also serves on several editorial boards.
Dr. Manchikanti is also the editor of 11 books designed for interventionalists:
- Interventional Pain Management: Low Back Pain - Diagnosis and Treatment. 2002
- Interventional Pain Management: Documentation, Coding, and Billing - A Practical Guide for Physicians and ASCs. 2002
- Principles of Documentation, Billing, Coding & Practice Management for the Interventional Pain Professional. 2004
- Interventional Techniques in Chronic Spinal Pain. 2008
- Interventional Techniques in Chronic Non-Spinal Pain. 2009
- Foundations of Pain Medicine and Interventional Pain Management: A Comprehensive Review. 2011
- Clinical Aspects of Pain Medicine and Interventional Pain Management: A Comprehensive Review. 2011
- Pain Medicine & Interventional Pain Management Board Review Self-Assessment. 2011
- Essentials of Practice Management: Billing, Coding, and Compliance in Interventional Pain Management. 2012
- ICD-10-CM for Interventional Pain Management: A Practical Guide. 2016
- Essentials of Interventional Techniques in Managing Chronic Spinal Pain. 2016 (in press)